One of the most exciting things I’ve been able to do as a copy editor is to help budding authors improve their manuscripts before they release them into the wilds of the publishing world. I’ve assisted two authors recently, and information about the two women and their books is shown below:
1) Get Your RN Now, by Joy Porter:
2) The Sheik and the Slave and The Tea Plantation, both by Nicola Italia
Since then, I’ve served as a proofreader for Nicola Italia’s other books (which total 11 as of 2016).
3) Triumph by S.L. Benelli
4) The Best is Yet to Be by Brian Wilson (not yet published)
5) Glinda’s Ruby Slippers by Mike Radice (not yet published)
6) Various clients through Elance.com (now Upwork.com)
Some say it is a blessing for me to always notice typographical errors on signs, billboards, marquees, in books and magazines, on flyers and mailers, and everywhere else, but there are times when I wish I could ignore it! However, I want to make the most of this talent by helping others who are realizing their dreams of self-publishing, or who need to have an error-proof manuscript to present to colleagues, investors, and so on.
I look forward to working with more writers as the weeks progress and I get used to my new surroundings in Southern California!